Dropshipping on Facebook Marketplace is becoming popular for entrepreneurs. It’s a way to reach lots of people online because many use Facebook.
On Facebook Marketplace, you can sell products without having to keep them in stock. This is good because you can use Facebook’s big network and trust.
To do well in dropshipping on Facebook Marketplace, you need to know how it works. You have to set up a seller profile and find products that people on Facebook will like.
If you’re an entrepreneur in eCommerce, using Facebook for dropshipping is a good idea. Facebook has many users, and dropshipping doesn’t need a lot of money upfront. It’s a chance to start a profitable online business that matches what people want.
Table of Contents
- What Is Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping?
- Are There any Rules on Facebook Marketplace?
- What Can be Sold on Facebook Marketplace?
- What Cannot be Sold on Facebook Marketplace?
- How to Dropship on Facebook Marketplace? A Step-By-Step Guide
- Pros and Cons of Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping
- Best Practices for Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping
What Is Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping?
Facebook Marketplace dropshipping is a way to do online business without needing to keep products in stock or have a regular store.
With this method, you can manage sales and send customer orders right through Facebook’s big social network.
What is Dropshipping?
Dropshipping is a an order fulfilment method where retailers don’t keep the products themselves. Instead, when someone buys a product from their online store, the retailer sends the order to the supplier, who then ships the product to the customer. In other words, the seller acts as a middleman between the customer and the company with the product.
Here’s a breakdown of how it works:
- Customer places an order from your eCommerce store
- The order is automatically forwarded to your supplier
- Dropshipping supplier prepares, packs and fulfils the order
- Customer receives their order from the supplier
This makes it a good deal for both retailers and suppliers. Retailers can focus on taking care of customers, and suppliers can handle inventory and shipping. That’s why dropshipping is used all around the world by both wholesalers and manufacturers to sell their products.
Learn more: How to Make Money Dropshipping
How Does Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping Work?
Facebook Marketplace began as a place for local people to sell things they didn’t need, similar to Craigslist. But it’s changed a lot over time, and the part where people post ads to sell things is still active.
Now, it’s a popular choice for dropshippers who want to use its huge number of users to sell products. Here’s how it works on Facebook Marketplace:
List Products: You put products up for sale on Facebook Marketplace. These products are usually from suppliers like AliExpress.
Manage Orders: When someone buys something, you handle the sale.
Fulfill Orders: The supplier sends the product directly to the buyer. So, you don’t have to worry about shipping.
Customer Service: You’re in charge of helping customers with questions or problems.
By combining the ease of dropshipping with Facebook Marketplace’s large audience, this model makes it practical and possible to succeed in business without the complications of traditional retail.
Are There any Rules on Facebook Marketplace?
Selling on Marketplace is easy, just remember a few simple rules.
- You must have an active Facebook account.
- You should be 18 years or older.
- Product price should be between $5 and $500 (This is for using the commercial Marketplace tools in the US only).
- Make sure your listing description and pictures are accurate and detailed. Avoid spammy or misleading listings to prevent getting banned.
- Use the right keywords and hashtags in your posts to increase your visibility among your target audience.
- Do not sell prohibited products, such as alcohol and adult products.
- Do not sell event tickets, gift cards, or vouchers.
What Can be Sold on Facebook Marketplace?
You can sell almost anything on Facebook Marketplace as long as you follow their rules. The top five popular categories for selling are:
- Household items.
- Baby and kids items.
- Women’s clothing and shoes.
- Automobiles, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
What Cannot be Sold on Facebook Marketplace?
On Facebook Marketplace, you can’t sell certain things. Here’s a list of what’s not allowed:
- Digital products or subscriptions.
- Weapons, ammunition, or explosives.
- Illegal, prescription, or recreational drugs.
- Medical or healthcare products.
- Tobacco products and related stuff.
- Supplements you can eat.
- Adult stuff and services.
- Real money gambling services.
- Real, virtual, or fake money.
- Tricky, dishonest, or offensive items.
- Recalled products.
Keep in mind that you can only sell physical stuff. You can’t sell:
- “In search of” posts.
- Lost and found posts.
For services like housekeeping and event tickets, you need to work with one of Facebook’s partners.
How to Dropship on Facebook Marketplace? A Step-By-Step Guide
Dropshipping on Facebook Marketplace is a simple way to start an online store without needing a lot of money upfront. To start selling on the Marketplace, follow these steps:
1. Create a Facebook Account
To sell on the Marketplace, you must have a personal Facebook account. If you already have one, you can skip this step. If not, follow these steps:
Go to the Facebook website or mobile app.
Click on the “Sign Up” button to start the registration process.
Fill in your first name, last name, mobile number or email address, password, date of birth, and gender.
Add a profile picture of yourself, which helps others recognize you.
Facebook may ask you to verify your account through a code sent to your mobile number or email. Enter the code to confirm.
You can choose to connect with friends from your contacts or skip this step.
Set your privacy preferences for who can see your posts and information.
You’re now on Facebook!
2. Find Products to Dropship
To have a successful Facebook dropshipping store, you need to find products that people want to buy. Luckily, it’s easier to do this on Facebook compared to other platforms like eBay or Shopify.
Once you find winning products that work well for your store, you’ll be ahead of your competition and ready to start making sales.
You can search for product ideas on Facebook, but TikTok is even better. You can look at hashtags like #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt and #viralproduct to get ideas for what to sell in your store. Pay attention to videos with lots of comments and engagement, but be cautious of fake comments that could mislead you into choosing the wrong products to sell online.
Another great way to find dropshipping product ideas for your online store is by exploring social shopping platforms. These platforms are like online marketplaces where people share their shopping experiences with others through actions like liking, commenting, recommending, and discussing products. Sellers on these sites rely on recommendations and influence to boost sales.
Some social shopping sites to check out are:
- The Fancy
Take a look at how people use these websites. Notice that customer reviews are prominently featured, and feedback is crucial to the user interface. This makes it easy for you to discover the best products to dropship by quickly identifying items that people love and are excited about.
For example, The Fancy is best known for offering trendy products ranging from fashion items to useful gadgets and novelty gifts.
If you’re looking to discover products that are in high demand, there are also plenty of online communities and forums where you can do just that. Facebook and Reddit, for instance, host numerous open and closed communities that provide insights into what people are looking for in various parts of the world.
Here are some recommended online communities to join:
- Shut Up And Take My Money
- Wholesale Products to Sell
Alternatively, you can broaden your search to include different areas or seek out niche groups that have members from all over the world. There are global groups and forums covering topics like veganism, gardening, fitness, and more. If you come across problems being talked about, consider finding a product that can address those concerns and potentially sell it.
To make your product research easier, you can also use a product research tool. This tool is software that uses smart computer programs to look at lots of products being sold in different places. Its job is to help store owners figure out if a product is likely to do well. It does this by looking at things like how many people are ordering it, how well it’s been selling in the past, and how many Shopify stores are selling it.
There are many product research tools out there, but we suggest using ones that have been tested and proven to work, like Sell the Trend.
Sell the Trend can help you discover lots of successful products for dropshipping using solid information. It also allows you to bring these products into your Shopify store and make Facebook video ads using pictures from AliExpress to promote them to your customers.
You might also want to look into other product research tools like Niche Scraper, Ecomhunt, and AliShark. They can be useful too.
3. List Your Products on Marketplace
If you already have a Facebook account, head to the left side of your Facebook newsfeed and click on the “FB Marketplace” tab.
Inside Marketplace, click on the “Create new listing” tab.
You can easily download product images from your supplier’s website and use them in your listing. Also, copy the product description – no need to create extra work for yourself! If needed, you can tidy up the description a bit.
Then, move on to selecting the product category and creating a catchy title. Keep these in mind:
- Be as accurate as possible when choosing the product category, as there are many subcategories available.
- Create an appealing title that may differ from the supplier’s title.
ZIK Analytics’ Title Builder tool can help you come up with titles that catch your target audience’s attention.
For dropshipping, select ‘Shipping’ as the only delivery option, as pick-up doesn’t apply.
Your price should include:
- The supplier’s price
- Your fees,
- A healthy margin, for example, 15%.
Keep in mind that Facebook Marketplace charges a 5% fee (or $0.40 for items priced at $8 or less). Make sure you account for this fee in your calculations, and it already includes tax.
If you’re selling outside the US, Facebook doesn’t provide checkout or payment options through the site, so you don’t need to worry about this step.
Once you’ve completed these steps, finish your listing, and your item will be live on Facebook Marketplace.
4. Run Facebook Marketplace Ads
In addition to creating a free listing on Facebook Marketplace, you can also use Facebook Marketplace Ads.
By selecting the right audience and where your ad appears, you can promote your product effectively to improve your chances of selling it.
You can also boost your listing to expand its visibility, essentially turning your free listing into a Facebook ad.
Here’s how to set up a Marketplace Ad Campaign on Facebook in simple steps:
- Go to Ads Manager. Choose your ad goal and click “continue.”
- Select a destination, which is where your ad will appear.
- Pick your audience and define who you want to target with your ad.
- Choose between “Automatic placements” or “Edit placements.” It’s usually best to go with “Automatic placements” since Marketplace isn’t available as a single ad placement.
- Set your budget and schedule for your ad.
- Decide on the format for your ad. You’ll need to specify the video and image specifications. Facebook provides recommended specs, or you can customize them.
- Put the finishing touches on your ad setup and click “place order” to publish it.
5. Order Fulfilment
Once your target audience sees your listing on Facebook Marketplace, you’ll start receiving some orders. If you’re outside the US, keep in mind that Facebook Checkout isn’t available. You’ll need to arrange payment through Facebook Messenger by sharing your account details or something similar.
Once an order is confirmed, you’ll need to order the product from your dropshipping supplier. When it comes to shipping, use the customer’s address from their Facebook message, not your own.
One great thing about Facebook Marketplace is that customers can directly message you with questions, which is unique compared to platforms like eBay, Amazon, or Etsy.
Remember to update the tracking number on Facebook, or your payment might be delayed.
One drawback of using Facebook Marketplace for dropshipping is that they release the money only after the item has been delivered, which usually takes around 15-20 days after the order is placed.
So, you’ll need some extra startup capital compared to other dropshipping methods.
Pros and Cons of Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping
- Facebook is a huge social media platform, with almost 3 billion people using it every month.
- You can sell various products without needing to specialize.
- With a smart algorithm, the platform shows products that match what customers are looking for.
- No fees for sellers.
- Facebook Ads is a convenient option for advertising because it’s integrated with Marketplace.
- Facebook’s payment systems ensure secure transactions for both sellers and buyers.
- It’s beginner-friendly, allowing you to do dropshipping without a website.
- Since listing is free, Facebook Marketplace is a great place to test out product ideas.
- Facebook Marketplace automatically creates mobile-friendly listings.
- You’ll have to wait 15-20 days or five days after the item is delivered to get your funds.
- You need extra money upfront to pay your supplier for initial orders.
- There will be lots of communication or messages from buyers.
- Not every ecommerce business platform can sync up with Facebook.
- Listing each product one by one, no bulk listing tool available.
- It’s more challenging to automate.
- Not available for global selling, only locally outside the US or nationwide inside the US.
Learn more: The Pros and Cons of Dropshipping
Best Practices for Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping
Certainly! If you’ve decided to try Facebook Marketplace Dropshipping, here are some easy-to-follow tips and tricks to help you start your business:
1. Optimize Your Listing
When people check out your listing, the first impression really matters. Focus on the title and main picture because they grab the attention of potential buyers and impact your search ranking.
Title: Use keywords related to your item (what people would search for) and important product details. For example, if you’re selling a brand-new UE Megaboom Bluetooth speaker in Lagoon Blue, make sure your title includes the brand, product name, color, and key terms like “wireless Bluetooth speaker.”
- Descriptions: While descriptions are optional, having an honest one can boost your chances of getting offers and building trust with potential buyers. For example, ff you’re selling a Bluetooth speaker, it’s better to put important info like battery life, accessories, and sound quality in the description.
Images: Usually, you’ll use pictures from your supplier’s website. Make sure they’re good quality and download the highest resolution available, not just a small thumbnail. Pick the image that looks the best and accurately represents your product.
Testing Titles: It can be helpful to try different titles over time. Use one title for a few months and see if it leads to more sales.
Renew Listings: Marketplace lets you “renew your listing.” It’s a good idea to do this regularly because newer listings appear higher in search results. You’ll get a reminder to renew after two weeks, but you can also do it proactively in your listing overview.
Improving your listing’s first impression can make a big difference in attracting buyers and getting your product noticed.
2. Provide Excellent Customer Support
Customer support is super important in eCommerce. Happy customers stick around, while those with a bad experience may not return for years.
Even in a casual place like Marketplace, your customer service game needs to be strong. You can provide instant help through Messenger, but that means you must respond quickly. Your response time is visible to users, so it’s essential to be prompt. You can set auto-responses and away messages if you have Facebook for Business or a Page, but not with a personal account.
If you’re starting and using your personal account for listings, you’ll need to keep an eye on Messenger and reply promptly.
Apart from response time, maintain a professional yet friendly tone. Always aim to be helpful and accommodating. Think about how you’d like to be treated if you were a potential buyer – that’s a good rule of thumb to follow.
3. Optimize Your Facebook Ads
You can’t advertise exclusively on Marketplace, so when setting up ads on Facebook, choose either ‘Automatic Placements’ (letting Facebook decide where to show it) or pick ‘News Feed’ and ‘Marketplace’.
Because your ad will appear in various places on both mobile and desktop, think about the text you use. You’ll need a headline and primary text, but note that the primary text might not show in some places (like mobile Marketplace feed), so the headline matters a lot. Keep it short, around 5 words due to a 40-character limit.
For images, use a 1:1 ratio and a minimum resolution of 1080×1080. Make sure it’s the same image you use as the main picture in your listing for a consistent user experience.
Learn more: How to Use Facebook Ads for Dropshipping
4. Automate Your Listings
If you’re finding it tough to keep up with managing your listings, you might want to consider automation. Right now, only a few providers offer full automation for Facebook Marketplace dropshipping, with AutoDS being a promising one that offers step-by-step guidance. With this trend growing, more providers will likely appear soon.
When automating your listings, watch out to ensure they still look professional and accurate. Automated listings can be flagged by Facebook’s algorithm if they seem suspicious.
How much does it cost to sell on Facebook Marketplace?
Selling on Facebook Marketplace is totally free! You can list as many products as you want without any charges. There are no fees for creating an account or keeping your product listings up.
The only time you’ll pay a fee is when you successfully sell a product. Facebook’s selling fee is either 5% per shipment or a flat fee of $0.40 for shipments valued at $8.00 or less.
What payment methods are available on Facebook Marketplace?
In the United States, you can use Facebook Pay on Marketplace with Debit or Credit cards like Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. You can also use PayPal.
For the rest of the world, it’s a bit different. You’ll arrange the payment method directly with the buyer through Messenger. This won’t go through Facebook itself, so it’s up to you and the buyer to decide how to handle payments.
What product categories are there?
On Facebook Marketplace in the United States, you can find various product categories for shipping and checkout:
- Baby and kids items
- Bags and luggage
- Books, movies, and music (only physical items, no digital sales)
- Clothing and shoes
- Electronics and computers
- Health and beauty products
- Jewelry and accessories
- Mobile phones
- Sports and outdoor gear
- Toys and games
These categories cover a wide range of items you can buy and sell on the platform.
How to increase Marketplace sales on Facebook?
To boost your sales on Facebook Marketplace, you can try these tips:
Make your listing more appealing by using keywords in the title and description that describe your item well.
Write a longer description with lots of details about your product. This helps buyers understand what they’re getting.
Consider hiring a professional photographer to take high-quality pictures of your items. Good photos can make your products look more attractive to potential buyers.
Should I dropship products on Facebook Marketplace?
It depends on your specific situation and the items you want to sell.
In general, we recommend selling on Facebook Marketplace if you’re in the right market. It’s a massive platform with billions of users, offering a unique opportunity to reach a wide audience.
If there’s a strong demand for your products, you can sell almost anything successfully.
So, it’s a good option if you find the right market for your items. Of course, you can also explore other ways to make money online.