Are you looking for a Scribie review? But you may wonder if it is a scam.
Scribie is a company that provides transcription services to clients by contracting with independent transcriptionists.
It was founded in 2008 by Rajiv Poddar and is headquartered in San Francisco, California. Over time, the company’s founder has developed a reliable technique to create high-quality transcription files.
Accurate transcriptions of audio recordings are created by freelancers employed by the company.
This method allows us to offer our services to clients at an affordable price without compromising on quality and accuracy.
To apply for a job as a Scribie Certified Transcriber, you can visit the company’s website.
Take a simple sample test that will be reviewed and paid for if you pass.
As a disclaimer, I’m not affiliated with Scribie. It means I’m not paid to write this review. So you can rest assured that you will get an honest and unbiased review from me.
At the end of this review, I’ll also tell you the best alternative to Scribie that has enabled me to make a full-time passive income online.
What Is Scribie?
Scribie is a transcription service founded in 2008 by Rajiv Poddar and headquartered in San Francisco, California.
When Rajiv Poddar realized there was a gap in the market for transcription services, he saw an opportunity. He found that both clients and transcriptionists were struggling to meet transcription quality standards (in terms of handling large volumes of work).
The technology Rajiv developed, called Scribie, enables fast transcription without sacrificing accuracy or speed. For a small price, organizations can now offer transcriptions of audio files to their clients (with up to 99% accuracy).
Of course, the organization also meets the needs of freelance transcriptionists by offering them the opportunity to work in this field. You can become a certified transcriptionist for Scribie and work from home. When you are done, Scribie’s system is used to review your work, send it to clients and, best of all, pay you.
Is Scribie a Scam or Legit?
Scribie is not a scam. Scribie employees are paid fairly for each successfully completed task.
Some evidence that Scribie is a real website that pays for your transcription services is as follows:
- The contact information and address are real.
- The CEO and founder are real people.
- I’ve been doing transcriptions since 2008.
- PCMag (a reputable and trusted website) has recognized Scribie as one of the best transcription service providers.
- Scribie is very present and active on social media, which is a clear sign of authenticity!
How Does Scribie Work?
The following are the actions that Scribie performs during the transcription:
- File splitting – This is where an audio file submitted by the client is divided into smaller segments to prepare it for transcription (about 6 minutes each). This allows multiple transcriptionists to work on a single file or project.
- Automated transcription – Scribie lets you transcribe an entire file at the touch of a button, thanks to the programme’s built-in automatic transcription generator. Since this machine is not perfect (its accuracy is between 60 and 90%, according to Scribie), we still need to intervene (this is where you come in). If you want to correct errors and fill in missing information from the machine transcription, you will need to go through the original audio and compare it to the resulting file.
- Review process – This is controlled by a reviewer. There is a quality assurance process to ensure that the transcribed content is accurate. At this time, we also provide the transcript with information regarding time stamps and the speakers involved.
- Proofreading – This step is performed by the proofreader. To compare the final transcription with the original audio file, all relevant segments of the original file are collected. Any errors are also corrected here.
- Quality Control – The final quality control is performed by a designated person who decides whether the transcribed file can be submitted to the client or must be returned for further correction. Although this is the final stage of transcription, it may take some time.
Here’s what to do after you’ve been recognized as a certified Scribie transcriber:
- Access your Scribie account.
- Select a file to transcribe (you can view the file details before deciding on a file).
- Complete your tasks (transcription, review, proofreading, or quality control).
- Submit your work.
- After that, your earnings will be credited to your account.
Scribie Transcription Jobs
During your professional life, you can take on one of the following roles at Scribie:
- Certified transcriber (this is their entry-level position)
- Quality Checker
Scribie Transcription Requirements
If you’ve been thinking about it and would like to apply to be a transcriber for Scribie, here are the criteria by which candidates are selected:
- You must have a good understanding of the English language.
- You must be able to interpret conversations from audio files.
- You must be able to identify errors when comparing an audio file to a transcript.
- You must have a verified PayPal account.
As a home-based Scribie freelancer, you must have the following:
- Computer (desktop or laptop)
- Internet connection
- The latest version of your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc.)
What is the Scribie Application Process?
The primary five-step application process for a scribie is as follows:
1. Submit Your Application
Apply via the online form in the “Jobs” section on Scribie. One of the first things we ask for is information about your PayPal account.
You can track the progress of your application using the application number provided to you after submission.
2. Confirm your Email
Please verify your email address by clicking on the link sent to you to complete the application process.
3. Hang Out On The Waiting List
It usually takes one business day to review an application (sometimes it can take longer). Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an email telling you whether your application has been accepted or denied.
After your application has been accepted, you will be placed on a waiting list for the preliminary eligibility review.
4. Take the Scribie Test
Before the test link is emailed to you, your status will change to Waitlist #0.
Before you can take the exam, you will need to create a password-protected account, after which you will be able to log in and select an audio file to listen to.
Please do your best with the transcription and submit it.
It will be reviewed to see if it meets the requirements before you are paid. If you are accepted, you will receive an email back.
5. Get the Scribie Certification
Once you pass the test and become a certified transcriber at Scribie, you can work on various client projects.
How Much Does Scribie Pay?
Scribie’s rates, based on the length of the audio file, range from $5 to $25 per audio hour. Note that this is not an hourly rate, but a flat rate based on the total size of the audio file.
For example, if you spent four hours transcribing a 60-minute audio file, you will only be compensated for the 60 minutes themselves, not the four hours you spent on it. This is crucial because your earnings will fall short of your expectations.
I’ve found that it takes me about an hour to transcribe 10 to 15 minutes of audio, but of course that depends on your knowledge and typing speed. Based on such calculations, transcribing a 60-minute audio recording can take anywhere from four to six hours.
This results in an estimated hourly wage of between $1.25 and $6.25, or 25% of the figure quoted. The pay is meager, even if you consider yourself a nimble guy.
You may end up earning not much more than $1 to $6 per hour. But again, there are a lot of unknowns.
Scribie Transcription Bonuses
For every three hours worked, there is a $5 bonus paid by the company in addition to the hourly rate. All accepted contributions will be included in this bonus payment, which will be paid on the first of each calendar month.
There is no limit to the number of files you can submit for the bonus.
Scribie Referrals and Affiliate Commissions
At Scribie there is a referral system that can help you earn even more money. You can help promote other people’s businesses by sharing your personal referral link with them. When customers or transcriptionists click on your referral link, you will receive a commission.
The commission is 5% for customer orders and 2.5% for the earnings of subscribers you refer.
Scribie Promotions for Transcription Jobs
Scribie uses a point system to check how well you transcribe. An A+ is the highest possible score, which is equivalent to a 5 or Excellent. The lowest possible score is a D, which is equivalent to a 1.
If you have a respectable grade point average, you may be eligible for promotions like these:
- After 1 audio hour of transcription, you will advance to the Reviewer level (your grade point average must be 3).
- If you receive an average of more than 3 on 10 submitted reviews, you will be promoted to Self-Reviewer. Self-Reviewer status has the advantage of paying you for both activities under the same assignment.
- If your grade point average increases after you become a Self-Reviewer, you will be promoted to Proofreader.
Remember that good and outstanding performance in school can result in promotions, while failures can result in demotions. If your overall grade point average is less than 2.5, you will not be eligible for transfer. Currently, the only way to get money at Scribie is through referrals from others.
If you feel that your company has judged you unfairly, you can protest the decision, but there is no guarantee that they will change their mind. Once the judgement is published, it is final and cannot be appealed.
How Much Can I Earn With Scribie?
How much money you earn at Scribie depends on your position, the number of hours you work, and the type of work you do. Below you will find the monthly averages provided by the company:
- only transcription: $200-$300
- transcription and reviewing: $300-$500
- transcription, reviewing and proofreading: $500-$700
- transcription, reviewing, proofreading and QC: $700-$1000
Actual results will vary to some extent; so consider this the business standard. My monthly budget is tight, but it should be around $200. Honestly, I think most individuals burn out within a week because the salary is so low. Unfortunately, with a low salary, it can be difficult to maintain motivation.
How to Withdraw Your Earnings?
Whenever you’re ready, you can withdraw your winnings; however, a 2% fee will be deducted from your total if your withdrawal is less than $30. PayPal is used for all transactions. No exceptions are made to the need for a verified PayPal account.
How to Submit Transcription Files at Scribie?
In this report, we’ll look at the inner workings of the Scribie platform. The next step is transferring files for transcription into Scribie.
Split the files
Since most of the audio files are only about 6 minutes long, they are split to make the translator’s job easier.
Transcribe the Audio Files
Listen carefully to the audio files and transcribe what you hear. Leave one place blank where the sounds are unclear.
The reviewer reads through your file to see if the text matches the audio.
He also provides information that could have been omitted from your original draft due to ambiguity. The reviewer also provides contextual information such as dates, names, and companies.
This is the merging of the individual transcriptions of the original audio file that was cut together.
The finished product is delivered to the customer after strict quality assurance procedures.
Scribie Reviews and Complaints
To be honest, I didn’t expect to see so many negative reviews about Scribie, but that’s what reviews are for – to show us the truth behind the scenes.
Scribie Reviews on Glassdoor
Freelance Writing for Scribie has an average rating of 2.0 out of 5 on the jobs website Glassdoor. I was surprised by that.
Some of the kudos I discovered for Scribie transcription projects are listed below.
- The flexibility of working from home.
- Good pay.
- Good support staff.
- Good source of transcription jobs for newbies.
The unfavorable reviews (reflecting the typical concerns I have expressed about transcription work) included comments such as:
- Beware of terrible reviewers.
- Pay is not good.
I’m not suggesting that you should base your decision to join Scribie solely on the testimonials above. As I mentioned earlier, these are general concerns raised against the transcription industry.
And since people are more likely to share their negative experiences than their positive ones, the negative reviews outweigh the positive (especially when it comes to services).
If Scribie were really bad, the company wouldn’t exist after 2008.
Of course, that doesn’t mean you should completely ignore negative feedback about Scribie. Even though the below average rating is discouraging, readers can learn from both the positive and negative comments on the site.
Pay is always a sore point to argue about; some workers are happy with their salary while others see it differently. It all depends on what you hope to achieve.
Scribie Reviews on Facebook
I was hoping to find more positive feedback on Scribie’s Facebook page, so I checked there too. Unfortunately, they were not. They also have a relatively low average score compared to others (2.1 out of 5).
Pros of Scribie
- This is a work-from-home position, which means you have incredible flexibility and do not have to work set hours. Not having to leave your house (or even your room) to work is a huge benefit.
- Scribie always welcomes newcomers! Unlike many transcription companies that only hire experienced transcriptionists, Scribie gives newbies a chance and helps them start their transcription careers.
- Scribie does not just pay you to transcribe; you can also earn money by recruiting others!
- The transcription job is just the beginning; there are many opportunities for growth and advancement. If you consistently produce high-quality work, you will be promoted to the role of proofreader or editor.
- The work of transcriptionists is made easier by automatic transcription. Each audio file is already transcribed automatically by the machine; you just need to listen to it and fix the mistakes.
- Each task has a preview function that allows you to listen to part of the audio file and decide whether you want to edit it or not.
Cons of Scribie
- Some audio files are inaudible or difficult to understand. This may be due to excessive background noise, a difficult accent, or poor audio quality. This makes the transcription work much more difficult.
- Pay isn’t good. If one goes to the trouble of carefully listening to an audio file and capturing every word it contains, one expects to be adequately compensated. However, the compensation is inadequate.
- Transcriptions are often judged harshly by reviewers. Some transcriptions are rejected for wrong reasons, others contain changes that violate business policy, and so on.
Alternatives to freelancing exist in every field, whether it’s product design or transcription. There are many alternatives to scribie.
To help you avoid putting all your eggs in one basket, we have compiled a list of alternatives to Scribie.
Scribie Review: Final Verdict
Whether you want to work for Scribie or not depends on whether you enjoy writing or not.
My advice is to give Scribie a chance despite the negative feedback, because you have nothing to lose. New knowledge and new perspectives are the least you can expect. It’s a chance to try yourself and find out if this profession is for you if you have not tried it yet.
Another advantage, of course, is that unlike many other online services, Scribie is not a scam.
However, as with any freelance job, it’s best to keep your choices open and vary as much as possible. In some cases, this may mean teaming up with other writing services, in others, looking for alternative ways to get financial support.
You could be a parent who’s home alone or a student. You may be dealing with health problems that make it difficult for you to go to work every day.
You may also be among the 80-90 percent of Americans who’re unhappy with their jobs.
If this applies to your situation, a web-based business is right for you. Let me tell you the best online business to start in the next section.
Best Alternative of Scribie to Make Passive Income
If you want to make a stable and secure stream of passive income, I would suggest you start an affiliate marketing business online.
Affiliate Marketing is perfect for anyone who is new to online business.
In fact, of all the online business models I’ve tried, affiliate marketing is the easiest and most rewarding so far.
In affiliate marketing, you can actually run your business almost with zero cost and achieve a steady and sustainable passive income to pay for your bills. You don’t need any initial capital and can even do it as a side hustle.
And if you really want to learn affiliate marketing and build a business from scratch, I’d recommend you to get started with the most reputable platform for affiliate marketing: Wealthy Affiliate.
Wealthy Affiliate is an all-in-one platform for building your affiliate marketing business from scratch. It offers you a free account (including a free website) with comprehensive training on SEO (free traffic methods), which enables you to get started with affiliate marketing right away without paying a penny.
But How Much Can You Earn with Wealthy Affiliate?
A 21-year old student from Wealthy Affiliate was able to earn $7,395 in just 1 week, which means he made more than $1k a day…all while using free traffic methods.
Wealthy Affiliate has existed for 15 years and there are many success stories in the past decade.
To give you more examples, here are some of the other inspiring success stories of Wealthy Affiliate members.
Where to Join Wealthy Affiliate?
Wealthy Affiliate has a very simple pricing scheme. It has free and premium membership.
If you want to feel about Wealthy Affiliate, you can sign up for the free starter membership here (no credit card required). You can select to be a free member with no time limit.
And as a starter member, you can get instant access to the community, live chat, over 500 training modules, 2 classrooms, networking, commenting, 1 free website, access to the keyword tool.
You can enjoy all these values without paying a penny.
So I strongly recommend you to register a free account and see it yourself.