Say goodbye to the old norms of earning a living, as digital marketing opens up exciting avenues to earn thousands right from your home sweet home. With just the right skills, a trusty laptop, and a reliable internet connection, you’re all set.
Imagine creating your own online business, offering freelance services, or landing a stable online job – all thanks to the magic of digital marketing. The options are limitless and oh-so-promising.
In this guide, we’ll discuss the 12 most effective ways to make money through digital marketing.
Making Money With Digital Marketing: 12 Ways
- Content Writing
- Sell SEO Services
- Affiliate Marketing
- Sell Online Courses
- Sell Ad Space on Your Website
- Work as a Social Media Manager
- Sell Consulting Services to Companies
- Become a YouTube Advertising Partner
- Become an eCommerce Specialist
- Manage PPC Campaigns for Companies
- Blogging on Paid Platforms
- Create & Sell Your Digital Products
1. Content Writing
Content writing is all about crafting engaging material for online platforms. It’s a crucial part of digital marketing, involving creating various content like articles, blog posts, social media updates, and video scripts.
To become a content writing pro, you’ll need to master a few key skills and meet specific qualifications. These include:
- Writing Skills: Creating compelling and clear content.
- Keyword Research Skills: Understanding how to find the right keywords for better visibility.
- SEO Skills: Learning how to optimize content for search engines.
- Analytical Skills: Using data to refine and improve your content strategy.
For those aiming to work for a company, having a college degree – usually in journalism, marketing, or communications – is advisable. Freelancers can rely less on degrees.
Whether you’re freelancing or working with a company, gaining content marketing certifications can enhance your skills and credibility. You’ll find various courses, both free and paid, to help you get certified.
Starting your own blog is also a great idea. It hones your skills and serves as a showcase when seeking jobs or clients.
2. Sell SEO Services
Mastering SEO is a smart move in digital marketing, with applications across different roles.
As an SEO expert, you can offer your services to clients who aren’t well-versed in the field.
To become an SEO expert:
- Begin by understanding how search engines function.
- Develop your SEO skills. A good SEO course is recommended amidst the sea of online resources.
- Familiarize yourself with popular SEO tools to work more efficiently.
- Stay updated on evolving SEO trends and adapt your strategies.
To successfully sell your services:
- Create a website showcasing your SEO background and services.
- Start a blog to demonstrate your skills by driving targeted traffic to your site.
- Build a network of potential clients.
- Keep detailed records of your results to create compelling case studies for winning more business.
Remember, both content writing and SEO offer great opportunities to earn money while contributing to the digital marketing landscape.
Learn more: How to Make Money with SEO
3. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a smart way to make money by promoting and selling other people’s products.
The process is simple: choose products to promote, create a website dedicated to showcasing these products, and direct interested visitors to your affiliate offerings.
There are two main types of affiliate partnerships: standalone programs where you connect directly with companies, and affiliate networks that let you manage multiple partnerships all in one place.
Since your blog is key to promoting your affiliate products, it’s crucial to start by doing keyword research to find the right niche. This helps you gauge the monthly search volume for related terms and estimate the potential traffic you can attract.
Focus on keywords indicating transactional search intent, suggesting a potential buyer. Words like “buy” or “get discount” are signs someone is ready to make a purchase. Also, target keywords with commercial intent like “best,” “review,” and “product x vs product y,” which hint at someone in the buying process.
Once you’ve decided on the products you want to promote, create your blog and craft compelling content. Choosing the right keywords will make it easier to start, allowing you to write initial posts on product comparisons and reviews.
While you can join affiliate programs early on, waiting until you’ve gained some traffic is often wise. After all, traffic is essential for generating sales. Some programs also require approval, and having an established audience can help.
Learn more: How To Make Money with Affiliate Marketing
4. Sell Online Courses
If you’re skilled at simplifying complex topics and can create engaging content, creating online courses is a fantastic option.
Tips for designing your online course:
- Structure Planning: Organize your course content using a storyboard to stay organized and cover all essential points.
- Visual Appeal: Even if you’re not a designer, tools like Canva can enhance your course visuals and make them look professional.
- Infographics: Condense intricate concepts into infographics; images are effective in holding learners’ attention.
- Mobile Compatibility: Ensure your course is mobile-friendly, as many learners use devices other than desktops.
Several platforms offer opportunities to sell your online courses and earn money. Some reliable platforms include:
Statistics reveal that top creators earn around $2000 monthly, while newcomers can make $15 to $20 per month per course.
The beauty of selling courses online is its passive income potential. You put in effort initially, and the income continues to flow without constant intervention.
Learn more: How to Make Money Selling Online Courses
5. Sell Ad Space on Your Website
Selling ads on your website is a popular way to earn money from your online traffic. However, keep in mind that to make substantial earnings from ads, your website should attract a significant amount of visitors.
When you’re building your audience initially, it’s a smart strategy to complement your income by dabbling in affiliate marketing or offering your own digital products.
Numerous advertising programs are available for monetizing your website traffic, with Google Adsense being the most well-known.
By signing up for Adsense and adding the necessary code to your site, Google will display ads on your web pages. Your earnings can come from ad views and clicks, though the payout for views is usually quite low.
Your income can vary depending on factors like your website’s niche, audience demographics, and more. However, substantial traffic is a prerequisite for meaningful earnings.
Apart from Google Adsense, you have other ad networks to consider, such as Ezoic, Media.net, and Propeller Ads.
If your site consistently attracts decent traffic and you desire more control over the displayed ads, you can directly sell ads on your website.
Craft an “Advertise with Us” page, detailing available ad formats and their costs. It’s crucial to provide traffic statistics to showcase the value to potential buyers.
For those who prefer not to handle ad sales personally, online marketplaces like BuySellAds and BlogAds offer platforms to list your ads for potential buyers.
6. Work as a Social Media Manager
Being a social media manager is a rewarding avenue to leverage your digital marketing skills for income.
In this role, you’ll focus on expanding a brand’s online presence using a range of marketing tactics.
Your tasks might encompass creating and scheduling posts, crafting visuals, managing ads, and engaging with followers by responding to their comments.
Opportunities for social media management work abound. You can secure a salaried position with a company or opt to freelance in the digital marketing field.
Just like providing consulting services, building your network and reputation is key to maintaining a steady stream of clients. A dedicated website featuring a portfolio of past clients and case studies showcasing your achievements can bolster your chances of attracting new business.
Salaried social media managers earn an average annual salary of around $62,000, with experienced professionals making up to $75,000.
As a freelancer, your income hinges on the number of clients you serve and your level of expertise. Novice social media managers can earn between $15 and $50 per hour, while seasoned managers can command $50 to $100 per hour or even more.
7. Sell Consulting Services to Companies
If you’ve gained digital marketing experience, you can cash in on your expertise by becoming a digital marketing consultant. This involves selling consulting services to companies seeking guidance in the digital realm. Here’s how to begin:
Define Your Expertise: Identify your strengths within digital marketing and the services you can offer. Consider areas like social media marketing, branding, video marketing, influencer marketing, and more.
Start Blogging: Create a website as your business hub. Share testimonials and case studies from past clients. Start a blog related to your consulting services, attracting relevant traffic and expanding your online presence.
Build a Network: Growing your network makes it easier to find new clients. Tap into your professional connections and reach out to previous clients for referrals.
8. Become a YouTube Advertising Partner
Creating and monetizing videos on YouTube is another way to profit from digital marketing efforts. Follow these steps to earn money through YouTube:
Create a YouTube Channel: Develop your own channel and start publishing videos. Promote your content to build an audience.
Generate Revenue with Ads: Ads will be displayed when your videos play. You earn revenue when viewers watch or interact with these ads.
Meet Partner Program Requirements: To become a YouTube advertising partner, adhere to the platform’s monetization policies. You must also have more than 4,000 public watch hours in the last year, over 1,000 subscribers, and a linked AdSense account.
Calculate Potential Income: YouTube partners earn money from ad views. On average, partners make around $0.01 to $0.03 per ad view, translating to $3 to $5 per 1,000 video views. Note that not everyone watches the ads, so ad views are lower than video views.
To earn a substantial income, you need to generate a significant number of video views on YouTube. Keep in mind that building a solid viewership is crucial for meaningful earnings.
Learn more: How to Start a YouTube Channel
9. Become an eCommerce Specialist
As the world of eCommerce continues its rapid expansion, the demand for eCommerce specialists is on the rise. These experts play a crucial role in helping businesses thrive online. Here’s a closer look:
eCommerce specialists develop and execute marketing strategies to boost online product sales. They handle tasks such as website management, marketing campaigns, SEO optimization, conversion rate enhancement, email marketing, and more.
Success in this role demands skills like communication, analysis, and critical thinking.
Here’re the steps to succeed as an e-commerce specialist:
- Understand eCommerce Dynamics: Master the nuances of eCommerce.
- Ace e-Commerce SEO: Become a pro in eCommerce-focused search engine optimization.
- Know Popular Platforms: Get comfortable with widely-used eCommerce platforms.
- Run PPC Ads: Learn the ropes of running pay-per-click ads.
- Optimize Conversion Rates: Master the art of boosting conversion rates.
- Hone Content & Email Marketing: Develop skills in content creation and email marketing.
10. Manage PPC Campaigns for Companies
With more businesses embracing digital channels, skilled campaign managers are in high demand. Pay-per-click (PPC) ads are a top choice, offering quick results. Here’s what you need to know:
PPC managers handle the intricacies of ad campaigns, including keyword selection, ad writing, bid management, and more. They navigate platforms like Google Ads and Bing Ads to secure ad placements for relevant search queries.
As a PPC manager, your responsibilities include:
- Keyword Research: Identify effective PPC keywords.
- Ad Optimization: Fine-tune ad groups and write compelling ad copy.
- Bid and Budget Control: Manage bids and campaign budgets.
- Landing Page Optimization: Improve landing page performance.
- Certification and Results: Gain certifications from platforms like Google and Bing, and showcase successful campaigns to win clients.
To secure your first client, you need to develop a website that highlights your skills and creates content to attract online traffic.
11. Blogging on Paid Platforms
Making money through digital marketing includes innovative platforms that reward your creative efforts. Here are some options:
Medium Partner Program: Join this program and earn by posting on Medium. It’s free to sign up and start earning!
Clubhouse Creator First Accelerator Program: Clubhouse is exploring paying users for their ideas in the future. Stay updated on developments.
HubPages: Publish articles and earn based on views and display ads.
NewsBreak: This platform shares local and digital news, boasting millions of users. Get paid based on your content’s performance.
Steemit: Join Steemit for blogging with social and cryptocurrency elements. Check their website for details about the paid partnership program.
12. Create & Sell Your Digital Products
For exciting earnings in digital marketing, consider launching and selling your own digital products. Once built, digital products can be sold repeatedly, generating high profit margins without constant production.
Consider these digital products:
- EBooks: Launch an eBook by selecting a niche, enhancing existing content, and adding new material.
- Tools and Estimators: Develop tools like website analyzers or keyword searchers. You can purchase and edit tools from platforms like CodeCanyon or hire a developer.
- Website Templates: Craft impressive web templates and upload them to platforms. You’ll earn every time someone downloads or purchases your template.
These opportunities might further increase your digital marketing income!
In the world of digital marketing, there are many ways to make money online.
You can learn skills like SEO, social media management, and more to offer services to clients.
Having a website with a blog can help you improve and attract new clients.
To sell products, you can create your own digital items or join affiliate programs. Your website can also earn money from ads.
If you want a stable job, there are plenty of digital marketing positions available in various companies.
Starting your own marketing agency is an option too, where you can offer different services.
Remember, digital marketing is growing, and investing time in improving your skills opens up opportunities for you.