Are you looking for the best email marketing automation tool for WordPress? If yes, you might be interested in using Groundhogg.
Groundhogg is a WordPress plugin that allows you to self-host CRM, Email and Marketing Automation without leaving WordPress dashboard. You have fully control of everything.
Many people are forced to use expensive SaaS platforms when it comes to CRM and Email Marketing, so Groundhogg is created to change this status quo.
I’ve been using Groundhogg for some time, so I can tell you more about it if you consider using Groundhogg for your WordPress site.
Product Name: Groundhogg
Special Offer: Get Special Offer Here
Overall Rank: 4.9/5
Who is it for: any WordPress users doing email marketing
In this review of Groundhogg, I’m going to cover the following:
What is Groundhogg?
Groundhogg is a self-hosted CRM, Email and Marketing Automation plugin for WordPress. Like WordPress, it is open-source and hence very flexible in terms of features.
It was created by a Canada-based company in 2018. The founder of Groundhogg is called Adrian Tobey. They won the Gold Stevie Award for Tech Start-Up of the Year in the software category 2020. Right now, it serves over 1200 businesses worldwide.
In my opinion, Groundhogg is the best alternative to other CRMs like Infusionsoft, ActiveCampaign, Convertkit, HubSpot etc.
Groundhogg’s selling point is that it has most of the powerful features like other SaaS platforms but doesn’t charge you based on the number of subscribers or number of emails sent. Actually, there are no limits on the number of contacts, number of funnels or automation, number of emails sent if you use Groundhogg. In fact, you can save thousands of dollars per year if you use Groundhogg.
Moreover, you own all the subscriber data. If you use SaaS platforms like Convertkit, your data is stored on the platforms and does not actually belong to you technically. If you breach the policy of those SaaS platforms, they can disable your account and delete all your data. So it’s not very safe if you want to build a sustainable business.
In my opinion, Groundhogg has all the features you need for a CRM. And the developer is still adding new features from time to time. There are no other WordPress plugins as powerful as Groundhogg in terms of marketing automation.
Here are what you can get from Groundhogg:
- Segmentation: you can segment and organise your contents easily with tags
- Automation: you can send automated sequences to your contacts to save time
- Data collection: you can collect your contacts’ information and save in the database
- Integrations: Groundhogg can now integrate with over 30+ popular WordPress plugins.
- Analytics Reporting: Groundhogg is able to track all the important data like open rate, click through rates, conversions etc.
- CRM: Groundhogg is not just for email marketing, it’s also a CRM tool to help you manage customer relationships. You can store the customer details, tag customers to categorise them and give your sales team access to the CRM.
- SMS: apart from emails, Groundhogg also allows you to send SMS to customers.
- Integrate with SMTP services: You can integrate Groundhogg with multiple popular SMTP services like Amazon SES, SendGrid, Elastic Email etc to enhance your email deliverability.
Who is Adrian Tobey?
Adrian Tobey is the founder and lead developer of Groundhogg. When he founded Groundhogg in 2018, he was just 21 years old. He studied Computer Science in the University of Toronto.
The reason why Adrian Tobey started his career so early was because he grew up in a very entrepreneurial family. His parents started a digital marketing training company in the early 2000s. He followed his family and worked as a helper in the marketing training seminars.
While going to the University, Adrian Tobey was working in his family’s agency business. He helped create websites, do sales copy, integrate CRMs, build sales funnels etc. Moreover, he was trained as an Infusionsoft Certified partner and developed advanced email marketing skills.
Those experiences paved the way for Adrian Tobey to create the first open source CRM/Marketing Automation software for WordPress, which competes with ActiveCampaign or Infusionsoft.
Groundhogg is a freemium plugin, meaning there is a free version and paid version. The free version is basically the core Groundhogg tool, which allows you to have unlimited contacts, unlimited emails and unlimited users.
For the paid version, you will enjoy all the extensions developed by Groundhogg to make it a fully-featured CRM tool.
For most people, you should choose the Pro plan, which costs $40/month. It’s very affordable when compared with the SaaS platforms which can charge you a thousand dollar per month when your email list grows bigger.
What I Like About Groundhogg
Groundhogg is a fully-featured WordPress plugin for email marketing automation. With Groundhogg, you can manage your emails and contacts without leaving WordPress dashboard.
Groundhogg’s automation features are very similar to other big SaaS platforms. You can set up automation flows, which are called funnels by Groundhogg, using visual drag and drop editor.
In addition, I like the fact that the Founder, Adrian Tobey, created a lot of free courses to help you succeed with Groundhogg. There are over 60 hours tutorials you can access for free.
Moreover, there is a weekly live Facebook stream, which is called Office Hours. Adrian will teach you email marketing stuff and answer your questions.
So when you get Groundhogg, you have everything you need to succeed in email marketing.
Who Should Use Groundhogg?
Groundhogg is suitable for WordPress users who need to do email marketing. Here are the types of people or organisation who would benefit from Groundhogg:
- Digital Marketing Agencies
- WordPress Freelancers
- LifterLMS, LearnDash, or TutorLMS sites
- WooCommerce Sites
- WaaS Multisite Platforms
- Blogs and News Sites
- Coaches and Trainers
- Educators and Public Speakers
- Business Directories
Pros and Cons of Groundhogg
- Groundhogg is very easy to use. Building funnels are very intuitive
- The customer support is excellent
- Have all the advanced CRM features like automatic data capture, lead management etc.
- Can integrate with many popular third-party softwares or platforms
- Since Groundhogg is self-hosted, you have to use a quality web host for your website, such as WPX Hosting.
- Since Groundhogg is self-hosted, you need to pay for the SMTP services like Amazon SES, which are very cheap though.
Groundhogg is really a ground-breaking software in the world of marketing. Before Groundhogg, many companies have to rely on SaaS platforms and are forced to pay thousands of dollars a month when their business grows. It’s unfair to businesses.
Groundhogg is going to revolutionise this trend as it’s a fully-featured marketing automation tool where you can own all the data and have full control of it. You don’t have to worry about the sending limit or contact limit.
All in all, I highly recommend grabbing the Pro version of Groundhogg and start building email marketing funnels to scale your business.