According to BusinessDictionary.com, management is the organization and coordination of activities of a company in order to achieve defined objectives.
An organization’s manager leads a department. The department’s resources are controlled by him. Among his responsibilities is guiding the department in a direction defined by the mission, vision, goals, and objectives of the organization. The short-term and long-term goals he has to achieve are his responsibility.
Managers are often required to wear a variety of hats at the same time. In the case of his department, he must organize operations and functions by delegating tasks to staff members who are competent to complete them.
To facilitate each individual’s success, as well as the department’s as a whole, he must provide direction.
Any company’s manager, then, is a crucial part of its machinery!
The world has been blessed with brilliant minds and great managers like Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, Howard Schultz, Ralph Lauren, and many more.
They are people who started out from nothing, became billionaires, combined book smarts with street smarts had great people skills and were excellent leaders!
The following are some quotes from great managers about management and leadership:
20 Management Quotes From The Most Brilliant Managers in the World
1. “It’s not about money. It’s about the people you have, and how you’re led.” – Steve Jobs
2. “The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.” – Theodore Roosevelt
3. “Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion.” – Jack Welch
4. “What’s measured improves” – Peter F. Drucker
5. “Hire people who are better than you are, then leave them to get on with it. Look for people who will aim for the remarkable, who will not settle for the routine.” – David Ogilvy
6. “If you pick the right people and give them the opportunity to spread their wings—and put compensation as a carrier behind it—you almost don’t have to manage them.” – Jack Welch
7. “Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don’t interfere as long as the policy you’ve decided upon is being carried out.” – Ronald Reagan
8. “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things” – Peter F. Drucker
9. “Hiring people is an art, not a science, and resumes can’t tell you whether someone will fit into a company’s culture. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, you need to cut your losses and move on.” – Howard Schultz
10. “Management is, above all, a practice where art, science, and craft meet” – Henry Mintzberg
11. “The true measure of the value of any business leader and manager is performance.” – Brian Tracy
12. ” A leader is the one who can outline the broad vision and the direction, and say here’s where we are going to go, here’s why we need to go there, and here’s how we are going to get there. A manager is the one who actually gets up under the hood and tunes the carburettor.” – Mike Huckabee
13. “Good management is the art of making problems so interesting and their solutions so constructive that everyone wants to get to work and deal with them.” – Paul Hawken
14. “The conventional definition of management is getting work done through people, but real management is developing people through work.” – Agha Hasan Abedi
15. “Good management consists in showing average people how to do the work of superior people.” – John Rockefeller
16. “The Four Keys of Great Managers: (1) When selecting someone, they select for talent … not simply experience, intelligence or determination. (2) When setting expectations, they define the right outcomes … not the right steps. (3) When motivating someone, they focus on strengths … not on weaknesses. and (4) When developing someone, they help him find the right fit … not simply the next rung on the ladder.” – Marcus Buckingham
17. “The first rule of management is delegation. Don’t try and do everything yourself because you can’t.” – Anthea Turner
18. “Management is efficiency in climbing the ladder of success; leadership determines whether the ladder is leaning against the right wall.” – Stephen Covey
19. “I’ve actually not read any books on time management.” – Elon Musk
20. “Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.” – John C Maxwell